The following blog will let you help in manually configuring Internet connection for your Netgear router. You can also allow the Setup Wizard to confirm your configuration process.
Netgear routers deliver connections for multiple computers to the internet via an external broadband access such as cable modems or DSL modem that is normally used by a single computer.
To manually configure internet connection for Netgear router you need to follow the steps as mentioned below:
- By typing http://www.routerlogin.net in the URL bar connect your Netgear router and then press ‘enter’.
- When directed on the username and password page, fill the router’s default username and password i.e. admin for username and password for router’s password which should be both in lower case letters.
- On the ‘Setup menu’, click on ‘Basic Settings’ option.
- In case, your Internet connection does not require a login, at the top of the Basic settings menu click ‘No’ and enter in the settings as mentioned below. In case, your connection requires a login, click on ‘yes’ and move to the next step.
- To access your ISP’s services such as mail or news, enter your hostname or your account name and also the Domain name.
- Internet IP Address: In case your ISP has given you a fixed IP address for your device, click on ‘Use static IP addresses’. Now, fill the IP address that you are provided by the ISP. You can also enter the netmask and the Gateway IP address.
- Domain Name Server (DNS) Address: If your ISP does not transmit automatically DNS addresses to the router during the login process, you need to then select the option, ‘Use these DNS servers’ and then enter the IP address of your ISP’s primary DNS server. In case, the secondary DNS server address is also available, then enter it also. If you will enter an address here then restart your computers on your network so that the setting can take effect.
- Gateway’s MAC address: In this section, it defines the Ethernet MAC address which the router will use on the internet port. When your account is first opened, some ISPs will register the Ethernet MAC address in your computer, and then they will only accept the traffic from this MAC address. To change the MAC address, select ‘Use this Computer’s MAC address’. The MAC address which you are using now is then saved by the router. You might be using the one that is allowed by the ISP, or you can also select “Use this MAC address” and then you can type the MAC address.
- At last click on ‘Apply’ to save your settings.
- In case your Internet connection only connects when you log in, fill the settings as mentioned below.
When you finish setting up your router, you no longer need to launch the ISP’s login program on your computer to connect to the internet. When you will start any application connected to the internet your router will automatically log in.
- From the drop-down list, select your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
- Your screen will change to ISP settings.
- For your ISP, fill in the parameters.
- Now, click on ‘apply’ to save your settings.
- If you need to verify your internet connection, click on the ‘Test’ button.
Thus by following the above steps, you can manually configure your internet connection for a Netgear router. In case you find any problem you can call us on our toll-free number.